This week's Weekly minute is the second in the "9 Attitudes of Mindfulness" series, and it explores the Attitude of Acceptance.
No person's life runs completely smoothly, we all face trials and difficulties, no matter who we are. When we fight against, or resist our challenges, we waste energy, and inadvertently increase the pain of them. Imagine this equation: Suffering = Pain x Resistance
When we can accept things as they are, we come out of 'struggle', and into a more relaxed state, which allows for creativity and wisdom, so we can choose a better way forward. It's like the old movies when the hero was stuck in quicksand, and it was only when they stopped struggling, and relaxed the body, that they could stay on top long enough to be rescued!
• For the next minute (or more if you have time), bring your attention to the body, working from the head down to the feet, noticing any sensations that are present.
• If you encounter an unpleasant sensation like an itch, or a cramp, or pins and needles, see if you can stay with it, and be curious about it.
• Does it come and go or is it constant? Does it have heat or cool? Is it sharp or dull?
• Notice how it changes.
• Try to just be with the sensation, accepting that nothing lasts forever, and neither will this.
• Breathe into the discomfort.
• Return to your day, with the intention to bring this attitude of acceptance to challenges you may meet throughout your day.
"This attitude sets the stage for acting appropriately in your life, no matter what is happening. You are much more likely to know what to do and have the inner conviction to act when you have a clear picture of what is actually happening versus when your vision is clouded by your mind's self-serving judgments and desires or its fears and prejudices." - Jon Kabat-Zinn
The Weekly Minute is a blog I write each week with the aim of providing proven tools to help promote positive mental health.
The collection of short, practical mindfulness and therapy tools for self-reflection and self-improvement, can equip people to take their mental well-being into their own hands, and improve their quality of life.
The Weekly Minute is posted here every Monday, or you can sign up to get it delivered to your inbox via the link below.
Follow me on social media (see below) to make sure you don't miss one!
Get the Weekly Minute delivered straight to your inbox, or follow it on social media!
By subscribing to Claire Shannon Therapy you are agreeing to receive a weekly blog post via email.
I use Mailchimp to store and manage this mailing list and your data will not be shared with any third party. You are free to unsubscribe at any time using the unsubscribe button which appears at the end of every blog.